Help change Nashville and run with us on Saturday, May 18th, 2019.
1 in 3 families do not have enough diapers for their baby. You read that right. 1 in 3 families can not afford to keep their babies in clean diapers and many reuse soiled diapers to extend their life. There are major health implications for babies whose diapers are not changed often enough and these babies are more likely to suffer from abuse or die of infanticide. Nashville is no exception and babies here in our own community are suffering.
Could you choose between buying diapers or paying rent or buying food for your family?
The average income of the families our local diaper bank serves is $5,600 a year! If a family can’t afford to buy diapers, they can’t afford childcare and they can’t go to work. The cycle of poverty continues. An adequate supply of diapers for a one child household costs about $100 per month. There is no government assistance for diapers and cloth diapers just aren’t an option for many of them.
If these families have running water, they do not have a laundry facility where they live, so they have to travel to laundromats to do their laundry. Even if laundromats allowed cloth diapers to be washed there, these families don’t have a car and would have to lug a heavy bag of soiled diapers to the laundromat on foot or try to convince the bus driver to allow them on the bus with a bag of smelly diapers. Many childcare services near the homes of these families do not accept cloth diapers and require a week’s supply at the beginning of each week in order for the child to be cared for.
To help support these families in Middle Tennessee, Music City Doulas has teamed up with Nashville Diaper Connection, an amazing non-profit organization that is dedicated to raising awareness to the diaper need in America and closing the diaper gap in Nashville. But we need your help.
Every spring, we run for the one in three families who can’t afford diapers. Your donations help support this amazing non-profit organization to be able to continue helping the families in need right here in Nashville.
Make a tangible difference to families in Middle Tennessee. Register to run!
Change Nashville. Get involved. Register to run!
Join us on May 18th at Shelby Bottoms Park for our fourth annual Nashville Diaper Dash 5k & Diaper Drive. Leading up to the event, individuals can donate diapers, which benefit Nashville Diaper Connection, a local non-profit organization trying to close the diaper gap in Nashville. With your help, we were able to raise over 14,000 diapers in 2016 and over 80,000 diapers in 2017, and 230,000 diapers in 2018. Our goal for 2019 is 250,000 diapers!
- Register to run – run, walk, or dance your way across the finish line. Strollers are also welcome for the race! Packet pick up begins at 6:30am and the 5k race begins promptly at 7:30am.
- Sponsor the run – sponsorship levels from $250-$5,000 are available (email us at email@example.com for information)
- Have a vendor table at the event – available for $100 and a diaper donation (email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information)
- Donate money – funds raised will help pay the costs for the event. 100% of any additional funds will be donated to Nashville Diaper Connection. Donate individually or lead a team fundraising event!
- Donate diapers – diaper donation boxes are available at businesses Nashville and surrounding areas for donations to be collected – click the link to see a list of our partners. Disposable diapers of all sizes are needed and open packages are accepted. You can also order online and have them delivered directly to our storage facility year-round.
- Volunteer – volunteers are needed to spread the word, paint diaper donation boxes, pick up diaper donations, fundraise, find vendors, get donations for food and giveaways, and help on race day. You can also join our volunteer group on Facebook.
- Share our Facebook event page with your friends to help spread the word!
2018 sponsors, we love you! Thank you for all of your support in the Nashville community!
Help change Nashville and run with us on Saturday, May 18th, 2019